Saturday, April 14, 2007

ok....i have to do it

this photo has been burning a hole in my desk drawer for what seems like forever. I feel compelled to share it. Why? I'm not sure.....its horrifically embarrassing so maybe its some sort of therapy for me....
I am 12 in this photo....my friend and i are in saratoga new york for the pre-teen new york beauty pageant. I had won the title of pre-teen syracuse n.y. in order to get to this level.
makes me think of this 12 yr old i lived with in a very crowded anarchist/communal household in portland oregon back when i was 22 or so....she had written an essay for school about class war and capitalism called "don't be fooled".Very smart kid.
amazing the different directions a childhood can take.
thats a feathered roach clip hooked to my belt...sigh.

3 comments:

Rosie said...

And I'm so glad you did!

I had no idea you did the child beauty pageant thing. I attended one locally...strange story...but it was really surreal. It was like being in the middle of a Jon Waters movie. And so obviously political.

Anonymous said...

Is it nature or nurture?

Too bad women are funneled down a patriarchal path with so few options, and from which so few escape.

Jbeeky said...

I love how you have evolved. Thanks for sharing the picture!