Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Cell phones....I've never liked them.

One of the things i love about where i live is that it is cell phone tower free, no reception at all....its great. I'm anti-cell phone to the point where if i'm cruisin' some hottie queer in town and they pull out a cell phone....i'm way less interested (well, ok...it depends...jeez). Reasons till today had mostly been about the radiation flying all over the place (safest place to be is directly beneath a tower) not to mention the concetrated radiation folks are putting up against their heads. They also make for horrible drivers and general social rudeness...like, how many times have you been in the middle of a live, in person conversation with someone only to have it abruptly interrupted by a cell phone call. People are trained like dogs when these things ring.
Then theres the coltan thats mined in places like the Congo, with slave/child labor and much environmental destruction. coltan is used to coat the components of cell phones, as well as laptops and playstations.

But today theres a new,perhaps even more compelling theory to support ridding ourselves of these stupid phones.....this is from democracy now:

"Scientists: Cell Phones Could Be Cause of Missing Bees
In science news, more theories are emerging on what is causing the disappearances of bees across the country and in Europe. As much as 70 percent of the commercial bee population on the East Coast have gone missing. The Independent newspaper of London reports that some scientists believe that cell phones might be causing the problem. The theory is that radiation from mobile phones interferes with bees" navigation systems, preventing the famously homeloving species from finding their way back to their hives. A limited study at Landau University has found that bees refuse to return to their hives when mobile phones are placed nearby. The disappearance of the bees could cause massive food shortages because most of the world's crops depend on pollination by bees.
Albert Einstein once said that if the bees disappeared, "man would have only four years of life left"."

food for thought you modern techno, consumer convenience addicted first world humans out there. can you eat your cell phone?
nope.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will you please cite your Einstein quote. Thanks......

aaron ambrose said...

hey anon....i'm afraid theres a typo..which i'll get to fixin'....the einstein quote is part of the "democracy now" story which i simply pasted in.
you'd have to ask them to cite it.
cheers

aaron ambrose said...

hey if you google "einstein bees" you'll get slew of info....

Chris C. said...

Hi erin! :)

I've never understood the cell phone thing. The LAST thing I want in my life is a way for people to get a hold of me whenever and wherever they want...! That's why I moved to the ends of the earth, for pete's sake! ;)

The increasing inability for Americans to be alone for even one moment is deeply concerning.

But that said, I feel there is a place for cell phones as emergency tools. A friend gave me one years ago because I was about to drive cross-country in an undependable old clunker and she was worried about me. I still have that phone, which is turned on ONLY when I'm traveling and I need it/am specifically expecting a call that usually has to do with impending arrangements for myself and/or my companions. The other emergency I use it for: When the phone and electrical lines go out at home because of a storm and the roads are flooded and I'm trying to arrange assistance. It's saved my ass and I'm grateful for it, but that's ONLY because I completely control its access to me.

But could I live without it? Hell, yes, without a backward glance. And if we have to choose between the cell phones and the bees, well...buzzzzzzz! :)

Rosie said...

When I was at CNN, they had me so rigged out with electronics I used to joke about them putting a chip in the fatty part of my neck. And my job really required it, but I hated it so much. The only places I could take vacations were the mountains where I'd be assured of no pager or cell phone connection.

Now, like you, I'm gloriously unplugged. I love the freedom.

I saw that bit about the bees. The bees have been in decline for some time now from throat mites and pesticide residues. I know that here in Appalachia, every farm used to keep bees. My beekeeper tells me that it used to be a very simple matter, but now "keeping" them entails a great deal of highly specialized work involving medications. I had wanted to keep them when I moved here, but it looked more involved than I felt I could take on.

They certainly don't need any more challenges to their environment.

I hate frickin' cell phones. I do. I really do.

aaron ambrose said...

yeah, i'd heard about the pesticide issue (doesn't take a brain surgeon) and also that gmo crops could be another factor as well.
the planet is so polluted its no surprise the bees would leave us to our own demise.
we've got a few beekeepers here in chacon.
I have opted not to go there since i share my land with bears...no need to lure them closer....the plums and apple trees are bad enough!! once had a bear peering into my windows!

Lesbesquet said...

Y can personally testify to jackadandy's practicing what s/he preaches.

erin - love your photos.